Wednesday, November 19, 2008

assignment 5c

Molaa is the Museum Of Latin American Art which is located in Long Beach California. The Knowledge I learned this semester has enhanced my understanding of the artwork found there because now I understand that each piece of artwork is like a small piece of history.

For instance Laura Hernandez is an artist whose work is displayed at the Molaa. She expresses her beliefs of history thru her artwork. She believes that the "universe based on ancient Mayan concepts: the creation of the world with all its creatures, the demons of the dark, and celestial beings from the heavens".

What I see in the artwork is the circle of life. She encompasses everything in her artwork and connects everything in the world together. I saw some of her artwork that is made of paper mache and also watercolor.
My interpretation would be how everything in life is connected to each other. For example fish to water to people and trees taking on human form.
I chose her artwok because once I saw her "man element water" on display at the Molaa it intrigued me to learn more about her artwork.
I think that she is a very talented women who has opened my eyes to observe life in another persons perspective. I think that she is right everything in life is connected to each other.
I know that she is very talented and that her project is so enormous it fills the entire 10,000 foot expansion of the Museum. However, does she have work displayed at any other museums? Does she have any displays close enough to home that I could see them in person? Is there any way that I can view her entire collection online?
you can see her artwork on display at the Molaa by watching the video at:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUaZHgJElTQ&feature=related
or you can visit the websites I found:
http://artscenecal.com/ArticlesFile/Archive/Articles1998/Articles1198/LHernandezA.html
http://www.laurahernandez.com/

No comments: